Hoima Regional Referral Hospital serves a population of more than 2 million people in the midwest and central Uganda. The project was sponsored by 'Knowledge 4 Change' which is in partnership with Hoima Hospital and provides UK volunteers. Finding a full-time doctor for the hospital was proving impossible due to lack of nearby accommodation. K4C decided to fund new accommodation on campus.
Delivery of the Work
The build was designed as two flats with two bedrooms each. The plans were approved by the Ministry of Health and consisted of the following:
- Clearing the building site
- Excavation, construction of foundation and ground floor
- Floor filling in hard core, blinding and casting concrete
- Brickwork for walls
- Construction of roof and panelling
- Fitting steel doors and windows
- Constructing apron around the house
- Plumbing works
- Installation of power throughout
The project took 5 months and generated a real sense of accomplishment for the team. The site was difficult to prepare due to poor conditions and the build itself was one of the largest yet undertaken. K4C and the Hospital staff were very pleased with the result and were very proud to have delivered it successfully.