Kyakatara Primary School at the time of our project in 2010 had 535 students and 18 teachers. Our project focused on two of its classrooms and its library.
Its classrooms needed new floors, the concrete having fallen away entirely in some sections - see pictures, and roofing repairs were also required as the holes had become very disruptive during the rainy season.
The apron to the library building had also completely fallen away in sections becoming both hazardous and affecting its structural stability. Further, the walls to the library required rendering outside and plastering inside to be brought up to the standard of other classrooms. Other classrooms had numerous large areas where render had fallen off and needed replacing.
Internal work (2 classrooms and a library);
- Rafters sanded and treated.
- Walls plastered and painted.
- Concrete floors were delivered and holes filled.
- Floors painted.
- Existing benches sanded and painted.
- Blackboards reinstated.
- Holes in the roof fixed.
- Roofs painted.
- Walls rendered and painted.
- Apron rebuilt.
- Window frames sanded and painted.
- New doors and shutters made locally.
- Facsia boards sanded and painted.
- Thresholds reinstated to help with drainage.